Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Rummaging Around

I do not often go to rummage sales. Almost never. I have decided to rethink that position on certain items. You see, on Friday evening we were driving around in Hibbing and I said to Josh "I think I would like to go to a rummage sale, to look for a table to paint red" (thank you Colleen, for the tip:). Two minutes later, we are lost and looking for a sale that seems to be nowhere in sight. Why this sale? I guess Josh likes a challenge. I do not expect much from rummage sales, and usually walk in and out in about 5 minutes. Clearly that is what Josh was expecting, and hoping.
Not this time- I saw this sewing cabinet and fell in love. Yes, it is old and somewhat beat-up. Yes, the finish is wearing off. Yes, I have not taken my sewing machine out in years. I intend to, I really do. Plus, it is ideal for my own personal desk, for all of my bill paying and school work doing needs.
It does not look like much from the outside- where do you put your legs? But just look at the storage capabilities inside. With the doors open, it is a perfect desk, with plenty of leg room. The top has two pieces that are removable, for the sewing machine. Or they can stay there, for the laptop. Whichever. Love it!
I love that this is solid wood, it is strong and will last. Someday I will refinish it, maybe. Maybe not. I love the old look of it. Yay for rummage sales, at least this time!

The cherry on top? It cost $5. For real!

PS- I also went to a rummage sale the next day, and got some beautiful new ceramic tile to redo the entry way floor, and make it larger. Josh finished the grout last night, maybe I will post pics someday. Maybe not. Anyway, I got 115 tiles for $10. Love it, love it!

3 comments:

Colleen said...

That's amazing! $5 is an absolute steal! Around here TONS of people go to garage sales early on Saturday morning, so it's practically a competitive sport! And I'm afraid I'm not a morning person, so I don't know whether I'll ever make it to a sale with deals like that! Glad my comment inspired you. :)

Melissa said...

Truly a great find, and hello? $5? Amazing. Can't wait to see what you do with it/to it. Not sure I'd paint it either, but some nice red accents would be lovely. Have fun! Amazing what a new piece of furniture can do.

Kristina said...

Great deal! And I can't believe the tile, too. You and Josh are so good at getting things done around your house. I need to take a page out of your book. Garage Sales, here I come!