Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Spay What?????

Yesterday we had our puppy, Daisy, spayed. She came home in pain and drugged up, and if you know my Grace, you know that the sicker, the better. She loves to be needed, and to care for those who need her. Seriously, the best gift we could give her would be to all get sick at the same time, except for her. She would LOVE IT!
Anyways, Daisy was in her crate and Grace was sitting by her, talking quietly to her. This is what she said:
"Daisy, it is okay. When I was a little puppy, I was spayed too, and I am okay."
Oh, Dear. Not only have we never spayed Grace, she has also never been a puppy. Just to clear that up.
Both kids have been concerned about the spay for a while, and Ben has been quite concerned that we are going to have him spayed as well. I have spent the last few weeks convincing Ben that he is A.) a boy and cannot physically have babies, thus no need for a spay, and B.) he, like Grace, is not a puppy and this particular surgery is only for puppies.
I fear that his five year checkup could go something like this:
"Dr., please do not spay me. Do I have to get spayed? I do not want to get spayed!!!" OR
"Dr. my mommy does not want me to get spayed because she wants me to have babies."
I truly have nothing further to say on this subject.

3 comments:

Kristina said...

I am laughing hard, again. I am so glad Gracie tries to be empathetic, but I think she would do better with sympathetic. If your kids are naughty, threaten the "spay fairy" to the rescue. Hee hee hee.

Melissa said...

Oh, seriously, I too am busting a gut right now. That is stinkin' funny. Oh, that Grace. I can already just see her as a nurse someday, empathizing with circumcision, testicular cancer and other patients of the like.

Colleen said...

Ha ha! Too funny.