Thursday, July 17, 2008

Ben and the Violin

Ben started violin lessons about 1 month ago and is learning to play using the Suzuki method. This method is great for little ones, like Ben, because you go at their pace and do not push them. However, the child does not get to have a violin until they pass three tests- they have to hold a marker like they would a bow, they have to hold a macaroni box like they would a violin (with proper foot positioning), and they have to be able to clap 4 different rhythms. It is hard work for a 4-year old, but it teaches them the importance of practice and makes it very special to get the violin.

Tonight Ben passed all 3 tests and got his first violin! He was so excited, he kept kissing it throughout the practice.

Here is Ben with the violin-

It is truly the cutest instrument I have ever seen. It is 1/32 size, the smallest there is-and it is not much longer than the above mentioned macaroni box.
We are so proud of all of the work that Ben has put into learning his lessons in order to get his first violin, and share in his excitement. Yay Ben!!!!!!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

That is too stinkin' cute! I love that he kept kissing it, I can totally picture him doing that. Great work Ben! Oh, and BTW, my new VT companion, Traci, called tonight. When I hung up with her, C and I both came running to me excitedly, saying, did you just talk to Gracie??? I said no, guys, Traci. They were disappointed. :)

Colleen said...

That is way cute. Good luck to both of you, I'm sure it takes just as much dedication on your part as it does his!

Kristina said...

Way to go Ben! Great job for passing your tests. I can't wait to hear you play.