Monday, October 20, 2008

Five About Fall

I thought that I would take a moment to mention my five favorite things about fall time in Northern Minnesota. Fall is the best season here:) but also one of the shortest:(

1. The colors! With so many maple trees, the colors of fall are all around us. Every fall I almost convince myself to paint each wall in our house a different fall color. I have instead decided that I will use these colors as accents in my home. Accents. That is all. I do not have 1 orange, 1 gold, 1 brown, and 1 red wall in my living room.

2. The smells. I love how fall smells, so fresh and sweet. Also a little like leaf rot, but it is the great outdoors. If I want to smell fake fall smells, I will burn a candle in the house.

3. Halloween. I love to go trick-or-treating with the kids. So much fun to watch their eyes sparkle with excitement. The sparkle could be due to the freezing weather that we seem to have each Halloween, but I like to think it is the excitement. I love planning costumes to include room for winter clothes. Last Halloween we spent almost $100 on winter clothing just so the kids could go trick or treating! (of course, winter clothing is always an investment in this part of the country, and the warm clothes had to last until May last year)

4. Pumpkins. I love pumpkins, the way they look, they way they smell, even their beautiful orange color. Love Them! Pumpkin bars are a favorite fall treat. And carving pumpkins right before Halloween? Totally gets us the excited for Halloween!

5. Being outdoors. I forgot about this one until yesterday, when Ben and I, and later Grace, went exploring the vast wilderness around my parent's house. The above mentioned smell was incredible, as was the sound of leaves crunching under our feet. This is probably my new favorite thing about fall, as we had such a great time exploring (with no bugs!!). This brought back many memories of playing in the woods each fall when I was little. We then had pork chops and wild rice for dinner, along with squash and Apple Betty. The perfect fall meal!

I love fall, even though it brings with it the promise of a long, cold winter.

2 comments:

Kristina said...

I second all your favorites. The smells and colors are my tops. I just want to wear the colors and burn candles all day long. I love Mom and Dad's house this time of year. What a perfect fall retreat. Fun stuff!

Melissa said...

Great post! I second everything you said, and agree that fall in northern MN is dreamy. Go hike the Laurentian Divide for me! And I, for one, would be very interested in seeing your house with 1 red, 1 gold, 1 yellow and 1 orange wall. Now THAT would be something! Your Halloween costumes you told me about today sound fab-o. Love love love the fall!