Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Ben's stats

Ben had his 5-year check-up today, and it went pretty well. The drama leading up the appointment was not so fun (Ben does not like going to the doctor, and has been worrying about it for the past month), but we survived. And the shots he had been sooo worried about? He never even cried while they were giving them to him. Guess we should have done them first!

On to the stats- Ben is 41 inches and 38 pounds. He is shorter and lighter than the last time he was there. What? Did you read that right? Yup, you did. We are quite sure that he did not shrink, and assume that somewhere the measurement was off just a bit. Still, he is only on the 20th percentile for height. When he was a baby he was in the 75th percentile, the 50th as a toddler, and now the 20th. My poor little boy- he is just little. Grace is not much smaller than him- they actually can wear the same size clothes. And his weight is in the 30th percentile. This also went from the 75th to the 50th to the 30th. The really funny thing is that when he woke up on his birthday he said "I GREW!!!!!". He kept asking us how much he grew- he truly thought it was at least a foot. He has not even grown an inch. Uh-oh! We will not share this with him.

Ben also did not pass his vision test- he could not read any of the letters in one of the smaller lines, and his vision is 20/40. I guess this is not good in children, even though mine is like 20/120 and I squint just fine. Anyways, we get to visit the eye doctor. Yipee. We are hoping that this was a fluke, as Ben hates having anything on his face, and glasses will be a sensory nightmare. NIGHTMARE. Although, I have always thought that little kids with glasses were so cute. Just not mine. Only because glasses break. Easily.

So usually I end these posts with "great growing", but I think this one I will end with "Great job, my brave little boy." And now I will go and help Ben memorize a vision chart.

3 comments:

Kristina said...

I am seriously cracking up. Memorizing a vision chart? So funny. But, I do understand why. Ben just follows Grandma Downing's belief-we start shrinking the moment we are born. Poor little Ben. Sorry about the vision thing. I am so happy to hear about the successful shots.

Colleen said...

Oh, poor little guy. I got my glasses when I was eight and it was no fun. Too funny that he "shrunk." Probably a good call that you decided not to tell him that. :)

Melissa said...

The other day Connor asked me why I'm always doing this (at which point he squinted) and I said I just need help to see. :)

Glad to hear the appointment from Ben's perspective went well. And I say some years ya grow, some years ya don't.

Good luck with the memorization! Let us know how the vision appt. goes.