Sunday, November 30, 2008

Ben and the Robot

Ben loves robots. He has perfected a robot voice, was a robot for Halloween, and spends many hours playing robot. After his fabulous participation in the ward Primary Program, we got him the movie WALL-e. (I am not above bribing when it comes to things like that:) He did not like the movie, there was a scary part and that was that. On Friday, at the Target day after Thanksgiving sale, I found a movie titled (are you ready for this- I bet you can't guess) - "ROBOTS". Did you guess? Anyway, Ben watched it. Didn't like it, but loved the robots in it, which are all made of random pipes and other such hardware.
Did you know that robots are made of parts that people no longer use? Neither did Ben, until his mom (unknowingly) told him. I should also mention that Ben loves things that people have thrown away (lovely) and would actually collect garbage if I would let him. I do not let him.
When he found out that robots (his favorite thing) are made from old discarded things (his other favorite thing), he almost fell over. Ben was shocked to say the least. And then he decided that he needed (NEEDED!!!) to build his own robot. Quite an undertaking for a 4-year-old, I assure you.
Not one to be discouraged, Ben rummaged through the basement with his dad, and came up with many treasures, all of which could be part of his robot. And he did it, with the help of a very handy dad- he made his own robot.

May I present to you Rocket Star:

Ben was so excited about his new robot, that he actually had tears of joy in his eyes. I have never seen him so proud of himself!
It is amazing how much joy an old outlet and some wires can bring to a boy with a BIG imagination!
Yay Ben and his new robot!

2 comments:

Kristina said...

LOVE Rocket Star. I also really love the serious look Ben has on his face in the last picture. Such a creative little mind.

Melissa said...

Rocket Star is fantastic. I really love the picture of Ben lovingly holding his precious creation. I love little minds.